Facebook’s head of Instagram said the service plans to start showing users full-screen, recommended videos in their feeds.
“We’re no longer a photo-sharing app or a square photo-sharing app,” Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri said.
Mosseri specifically highlighted TikTok as well as YouTube as serious competitors and reasons for these changes.
- They plan to force display videos full screen.
- They intend to force display videos from people you do not follow.
- They intend to make it a video focused social media service.
- Instagram is looking at adding paid subscription-only features.
- IG will add more branded content and more monetization features including “merch” sales and possibly voluntary Patreon-like payment features to creators.
Also, will it be possible to upload videos taken with anything other than a smart phone?