I have several blogs running on a shared web server host. For several months, they have been offline 1-3% of the time – which is terrible uptime performance.

Yesterday, the blogs ended up being offline perhaps half the time. Consequently, I took all of them offline while I investigated.

The primary problem was running out of memory and a secondary problem was max’ing out the available network bandwidth.

I made many changes to each of the blogs’ software configurations plus other optimizations that appear to have slashed their memory requirement. A side effect is pages are now loading far faster than in the past, which is good news.

I will likely write up a post about the specifics of what I did as it will be helpful to others running their own blog software installations. Look for that post in the future.